Sleepys - BEWARE OF SLEEPY'S FINANCING

I cannot even begin to describe how upset I am.

I was looking into purchasing a new mattress and after shopping around for some time, I stopped into Sleepy's. I was finally convinced to buy my Tempur-Pedic from my local Shirley store after the salesman kept insisting on "24 month 0% financing" through GE Money. He told me, "it's practically free money! No interest for two years!" So I went with it. I when I called GE to change some personal information, they convinced me to sign for automatic payments so I wouldn't need to worry about my account, which I did and I've had my payments made every month since.

I recently looked at my account and I was shocked to see that I had been charged $1,200 in interest charges!! That's on a $2,300 mattress! And I'm getting hit with another $40 in interest charges every month, more than half of my automatic payments. Apparently, because I still had a small balance after two years, they charged me 25% APR interest since the day I purchased the mattress. SO MUCH FOR FREE MONEY. Now, at this rate, it will take me eight years to pay it off, and it will wind up costing me THREE TIMES THE ORIGINAL PRICE.

DO NOT FINANCE THROUGH SLEEPY'S.

In fact, DO NOT PURCHASE THROUGH SLEEPY'S. They are dishonest, misleading and do not care.

I am currently in the process of pursuing a law suit against them.

Comments

If u took you more than 2 years to pay off $2300. You got mental issues. Their 0% apr is at most for 12 months.

Thanks for the warning. We went into Sleepy's today thinking about making a purchase.

I literally came home to research the mattress and saw your review! Thanks for posting!

You should've payed attention to your statements its your own fault

This happened to me on another credit card so I learned the hard way also. You have to read the fine print and just because they send you a bill with an amount due it is not what you should be paying. So yes it is the consumers fault just like mine that we didn't read the fine print.

This is all true, and while they do attempt to trick you into this deal, the facts are also ALL stated in the finance agreement and on every single monthly invoice you receive. You have to read things not take a salesman's word for it.

That's the way it works... Your suppose to pay it off within the promotional period...

The finance company has to eat too, there kind enough to give u the 0%, just bc you were to dumb to read the contract don't blame them. They give u two years to pay it off!! If u can't pay a mattress off in 2 years, you should be looking for a new job. Welcome to the 0% interest world...

I can't even believe you complained about this situation, everyone knows nothing is free... Everyone knows if it's 0% for 24 months, don't have any balance at all on the 23rd month...

The American way "buy now, pay later, then *** about the price..."

This is your fault for not understanding the terms of the agreement. Nobody lied to you.

You just didn't know what you were doing. If you'd paid the bed off in time, you wouldn't have been charged any interest.

Ocean County, New Jersey, United States #965981

I don't understand how this is Sleepy's fault? This seems to be the fault of the uneducated consumer.

It is VERY simple. If you pay for something with the understanding it must be paid in full within 24 months, you simply divide your total in 24 payments. How is that the salesman's fault?

I am very happy with my Sleepy's mattress purchase and will be utilizing the same financing option for my next purchase. You will just be making a fool of yourself by trying to pursue legal action.

Lenni, Pennsylvania, United States #941715

Get them good I agree with you one hundred percent they are totally dishonest.

I hope you win. I am now paying for a mistress which I hope to pay off ahead of time

so I do not have to go through what you are going through.

Downingtown, Pennsylvania, United States #898459

I have a sleepys credit card as well. The man that sold me my mattress and gave me the 24 months no interest made it very clear that I must pay it off before the 2 years was up or I would be hit with all of that deferred interest. That's horrible that the person that sold you your mattress wasn't as kind.

to Anonymous #900866

Dear Anonymous of Downington, Pennsylvania,

Thank you for sharing your concern. Please contact us at csable@mattress.com and include your Invoice Number or Customer Code, your telephone number and the best time of day to be reached. We welcome the opportunity to speak with you.

Pennsylvania, United States #884540

Same thing happened to me.

I completely disagree with you about this. I bought my mattress at 0% interest for 48 months and have been making equal payments (above the minimum required) for the past two years.

Due to this, I have one more payment to make and I have paid $0 in interest!

WE are in charge of staying on top of our finances, not Sleepy's.

Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States #620256

People never read the fine print. All GE store cards work this way.

If u don't pay off the entire balance after promotional period has ended they charge u full interest on entire purchase. U also can't just pay the mininum payment as u won't pay off the debt in time and they charge u full interest. This is all in the fine print.

I hate GE for other reasons, but I am well aware of the fine print, because I educated myself and keep track of my finances. Good luck in court with that.

I've had nothing but positive experience. It's your fault for not checking your balance at the end of the promotional period.

No offense but it is kind of your fault for not reading the "fine print". It says right on their website for the credit card: *Equal monthly payments required throughout promo period.

No interest will be assessed if all min. monthly payments on account, including debt cancellation, are paid when due. If account goes 60 days past due, promo may be terminated early and standard account terms will apply.*

So basically, if you financed for 24 months, you had to have equal payments for all of the months. If you did this, you would've paid it off in the appropriate amount of time.

It's not so much of a scam as it is a "come on" for people... and then when you don't follow the rules of the fine print, they ***.

SLEEPYS DID SAME SCAM TO ME GREAT JOB SLEEPYS

View more comments

Sleepys - Defective mattress SCAM

I am now on my SECOND defective mattress. I purchased the first one in 2008. It sagged an amount the mattress inspector had never seen. My bed had all the proper support needed, so it was deemed a defective mattress.

I got credit which sleepy's made impossible to use. The sales people bacame instantly less helpful once they knew we would be using a credit. One employee actually deleted my credit on accident, which made the day I used it particularly annoying...It took an extra hour trying to get it back and understand what happened.

So I get a new mattress for which I am responsible for delivery fees and tipping. (seems a little unfair, but I was excited for a new bed) But now only about 5 months later this new bad is even worse than the first one!!!

Customer service is making me go through this same ridiculous process of measuring everything, being in front of my bed when I call, etc.

I really don't even want another mattress from sleepy's!! I want my money back. Especially since I was told there was nothing they could do to ensure me I wouldn't get a THIRD DEFECTIVE MATTRESS.

In my mind, there is no way this isn't a scam. They can make some extra money off you buy hoping you upgrade in the mattress and delivery fees, so they send you defective merchandise. I am only one person, but I will do my best to tell everybody I can not to buy from sleepy's. I will tell them what a TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE I have had with this company.

I have been sleeping on my couch or horizontally in my bed it so awful.

Monroe, New York, United States #583844

we were also scammed by sleepy's the same way , only our mattress' (original and replacement) sagged alot faster.....we wasted time with the inspector and money for replacement delivery and were left with a saggy mattress and no money to buy new one :( dont bother with sleepy's theyre a bunch of scam artists out to steal ur money!!

Thank you for sharing your concern(s). We welcome the opportunity to speak with you. Please reach out to me at csable@sleepys.com and include your invoice number and/or customer code and a telephone number with the best date and time to reach you.

Thank you for sharing your concerns. We welcome the opportunity to speak with you. Please reach out to me at csable@mattress.com and include your invoice number and/or customer code and a telephone number with the best date and time to reach you.

Sleepys - Bought Mattress, talked into GE CC and got Ripped off!

Went to Sleepys, bought a mattress set we needed and when closing the deal the salesman talked us into no finance if we open an acct w/ them (thru GE Moneybank.) At some point I must've called the 800 # for something and the rep talked me into "autopay" from the checking acct. No prob, yet!

I never rec'd nother paper statement and didn't realize the terms of the original sale was to pay in full before the 18 mos anniversary day. Because it was automatically withdrawn from my checking, I noticed an email from Sleepys in my Spam mail. Upon opening it, imagine the heart attack I nearly had when instead of the bill being almost or paid off, it was DOUBLE the orig matress purchase price! I called numerous times only to get put on a loong hold.

Finally an Indian lady informed me I needed permission from my husband to speak to them regarding this account. My husband finally speaks to them, gives his PErmission, while they are on speaker we try to talk to them and they began by belittleing us, talking down to us, argueing with us saying they have all the proof that we knew all along and they couldn't change the terms of contract now. We were offering to pay it off, even with some of the outrageous interest! No.

I asked to speak to a manager. the girl was still speaking to me as if I had a learning disability! The manager comes on only to continue the same attitude and treating me poorly. SO , I politly asked him to speak to me in a dignified business manner please.

I would like to pay this off. We could have paid this in full the evening we bought it! No way, he told us! So they are taking $54 out of my checking until we pay $3000 for a $1260 mattress.

Lesson Learned=pay through the nose!

Thank you for nothing!! Lori & Mike Tullo

Comments

read your contract not sleepys problem its GE

same when you get a car god ppl are so dumb

Thank you for sharing your concern(s). We welcome the opportunity to speak with you. Please reach out to me at csable@mattress.com and include your invoice number and/or customer code and a telephone number with the best date and time to reach you.

Sleepys - Customer Service Update

This post in in response to my initial complaint on April 29, 2012 titled: "Sleepy's Does Not Care About Their Customers."

After posting my complaint, I was contacted by Sleepy's Customer Service offering to resolve my issue. The person with whom I spoke with was very understanding and apologetic and immediately offered what I think to be a more than reasonable solution to the problem I encountered with their company.

Although it took multiple complaints to rectify the situation, I'm glad to see Sleepy's make the effort to make sure their customers are properly taken care of. They have officially restored my confidence in their company and I will continue to use them in the future.

Sleepys - FOUL SMELLING MATTRESS

I have purchased a TempurPedic Cloud Lux QN Mattress 9 days ago From SLEEPY"S in Howell NJ. The smell of this mattress is and has been so bad, that so far we couldn't sleep on it for 8 hours.

In addition we wake up in the middle of a night with a worst headache. Went back to SLEEPY'S, as well as called TemputPedic costumer service twice for help, but the only advise we got from SLEEPY'S was to walk on the mattress several times, from TempurPedic to take the mattress cover off and put baking soda on it for 24 hours, than vacuum it and the smell will go away in a few days. In addition, we had all of the windows open 12 - 14 hours a day for ventilation. Needless to say, none of this helped.

After nine days the smell is so awful, that we can't sleep in our $ 5,000.00 bad.

DO NOT BUY THIS MATTRESS!!! YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SLEEP ON IT AND THE CHEMICAL GASSES THIS MATTRESS OMIT, WILL MAKE YOU SICK.

Comments

I purchased the same exact mattress as you did,TempurPedic Cloud Lux QN Mattress 16 days ago. Same bad odor, very odd odor to say the least.

It is getting to me big time. I called the store, they are very willing to take the mattress back and have me pick something else out.

I will not buy another temperpedic again. They need to get this brand off the market ASAP!

I'm having the same issue with the same exact mattress I bought. They told me they will take it back for a different type of mattress or different brand name. It is a very odd smell.

I have the same problem! Sleepys sprays all their mattresseses with a fire retarded chemical the Stinks and it's supposed to go away in a couple days.

It doesn't go away. We paid $3.5K for our Sleepys GS Stearn bed and Sleepy's won't take it back.

The smell is so bad we get headaches when we sleep tried to sleep on it. DO NOT BUY FROM SLEEPYS!!!!!!

this happen many years ago called Temp..

and they said it happen very little but is true

they gave us our money back

received new mattress today. it has an awful smell.

what shall i do. it is a icare mattress by serta.

Please reach out to me at csable@mattress.com and include your invoice number and/or customer code and a telephone number with the best date and time to reach you. We look forward to working with you and resolving your issue.

OMG! DO NOT LET THAT SLIP AWAY FROM YOU!

MY PROBLEM IS I FORGOT ABOUT THE 18 MOS "PAY BY" DEAL!

IM ACTUALLY PAYING 3000 FOR 1200 PURCHASE! bE CAREFUL!

foam mattresses are supposed to smell for the first few days. if it lasts for that long it's a problem, but the smell alone is normal, and indicated by everything i read online and the salesperson mentioned it as well. i had it on mine for 3 days really strong, and it dissipated to nothing after a week or so.

smelly

I didn't use a credit card (as I normally would)to purchase this item, because Sleepy's had a promotional 48 month, no interest credit offer. So right now, I'm contemplating to call our local TV station channel 12 (call-Kane) for help because Sleepy's wouldn't take the base back that came with the mattress. :(

nikalseyn

wow! you actually paid $5k for a mattress??

If I were you, I would return the mattress to the store and get a refund. If they refuse, dispute the charge on you credit card as defective merchandise which the store will not correct or replace. No way should a mattress have a chemical odor and you shouldn't have to put baking soda on it, etc.

They are trying to pacify you. Take it back as defective.

View more comments

Sleepys - Sleepy's keeps calling me--they lied

I went in to buy a king size bed frame. That's all I needed.

They told me they had a frame and took my customer information--then told me the computers were down. They said I could get it at another store and then I couldn't--double talk, over a *** metal bed frame. They keep calling me at home---relentless. They must be really desperate for business..

I went to Bobs and got both things right away and for about 1/2 the price. I would never go into Sleepy's again. My first time I bought a mattress and they promised to me on a certain date. I needed it in time for a move into a new apartment.

They lied and it never came in. I had to rush over to another store and get it/ It was $300 less there.

WHen I called them and asked them about the price match guarantee they gave me some double talk, but wouldn't honor it. Since I already had bought the mattress it didn't matter except they had advertised that they do match any competitors price--not true!

Comments

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We would like to turn your experience from negative into a positive one. Please reach out to our team of specialists with your invoice number or customer code and include a telephone number with the best time and date to reach you at csable@mattress.com so we can address the complications you experienced and reach an immediate resolution.

Sleepys/ 800 Mattress / Matress.com / Better Bedding - All The Same Company

This should be reported to consumer affairs as price fixing because Sleepys LLC ownes and operated the brands Mattress.com, 800 matttress, Better Bedding, to name a few.

The problem is that if a person has a problem with Sleepys for what ever reason and still want to purchase bedding from a "Trusted" retailer the HAVE to buy it from Sleepys LLC.

All Sleepys employees work in the Mattress.com, 800 matttress, Better Bedding stores. They use the same billing, delivery, and customer service, and they price gouge concumers becasue they know 9 out of 10 times where ever the concumer shops they will be buying from Sleepys.

HERE IS A TIP FROM THE INSIDE!

IF YOU SEE A MATTRESS YOU WANT BUT DONT WANT TO PAY THE ADVERTISED PRICE. JUST STICK TO THE PRICE YOU WANT TO PAY AND YOU WILL GET IT AT THAT PRICE.

THE SLEEPYS MANTAR IS "NO ONE WALKS" SO THAT MEANS THEY WILL DO PRATICALLY ANYTHING IT TAKES TO GET YOU TO BUY SOMETHING AT WHAT EVER PRICE.

THE SALESPERSON WILL SAY "HOLD ON LET ME CALL MY BOSS, THEN THE BOSS WILL SAY IF I GIVE IT TO YOU FOR THAT PRICE WILL YOU BUY TODAY? YOU SAY MAYBE, *** ANOTHER $100 (OR WHATEVER) BUCKS AND WE HAVE A DEAL" YOU CAN GET SOME GOOD BEDDING ON THE CHEAP.

DONT EVER PAY THE TICKET PRICE AT SLEEPYS Mattress.com, 800 matttress, Better Bedding! YOU CAN ALWAYS GET IT CHEAPER...

Happy Shopping

Product or Service Mentioned: Sleepys Delivery Service.

Comments

They are under HMK,a/k/a Harry (Harry Aker) Mattress King! They are a monopoly, the Mattress.com is Mattress Giant....Extremely overpriced, and their sales are, well what can I say: ***!

Thank you for sharing your concerns. We apologize for your dissatisfaction with our company.

We welcome the opportunity to speak with you.

Sleepys - Sleepy's update

I just wanted to take a moment to add an additional comment to my posting of April 14, 2012.

Since the time of this posting, Sleepy's has tried to contact through email and phone calls. We finally connected and their Customer Service Department was very polite and apologetic for the suffering I had experienced. They took all my information into account, including pictures I had taken of the mattress. Within four days I was issued a check for more than half of the price of the mattress.

Thank you Sleepy's, for restoring my faith in Corporate America. I think you should be acknowledged for your positive actions as well.

Monetary Loss: $2000.

Sleepys sells bad merchandise

We purchased a Kingsdown "Sleep to Live" mattress. Within a week, the mattress had "sink holes" of uneven wear. There is a large hump between us, destroying any intimacy. Giving Sleepy's the benefit of doubt, I gave the mattress thirty days to give my body time to adjust. It only got worse.

I called in 35 days to report the problem. Since it was five days past their timeline, I had to get a mattress inspector. When he arrived, I asked him "off the record" what he thought of Kingsdown. He advised that there are many complaints about this particular mattress and that it is of poor quality. He said Sleepy's will typically make you have two or three inspections before replacing it.

Customer Service #1 – Since Kingsdown will not honor the warranty, Sleepys does not want the mattress back. They sent us to a store where we would receive a "deep discount" on purchasing another set to make it up to us for all of our problems. After spending an hour looking at mattresses, we were told the "deep discount" is the actual store sale price; which everyone gets.

After wasting our time, we called Customer Service #2- A very unpleasant woman offered to take the old mattress back and give us a $700 credit. My $3,000 mattress is now worth $700 for them to resell. Then I will have the opportunity to buy another regular sale price $2,000 mattress.

Sleepys solution is for me to buy another mattress from them. They do not care about their customer's satisfaction. They sold me a $3000 piece of garbage. They do not stand by their products.This has been one expensive nightmare.

Never buy at Sleepy's.

Product or Service Mentioned: Sleepys Customer Care.

Sleepys - Sleepy's Does Not Care About Their Customers

As a long time customer of Sleepy's, I am appalled by the treatment I received from their customer service. I have never experienced such horrible customer service by a company before. Last year, after suffering from severe back spasms, I decided to purchase a new bed from Sleepy's. At the time of the purchase, I was also given a mattress protector with my bed as the salesperson said the bed would not be covered under warranty without one.

After a couple of nights sleeping on it, I ended up switching with my mom because it was too hard - a lot harder than the store model had been. At the time, I was still having horrible back pain, so we decided to keep it and give it another shot after my back healed. A month after purchasing my new bed and after weeks of physical therapy and numerous E.R. visits, I was finally diagnosed with Lyme Disease. I spent the following couple of weeks bedridden and in pain, unable to do much of anything.

It wasn't until I started to feel slightly better a couple of months later that we decided to move my new bed back and give it try again. Unfortunately, the second time around I still felt it was too hard so I went back to a Sleepy's store to inquire about a refund figuring Sleepy's would be sympathetic to my situation. After all, I was still interested in purchasing another new bed from them. Well, the salesperson said the time had lapsed by a couple of months for a refund and there was nothing he could do. I explained to him that I had a serious medical condition that prevented me from returning it sooner, but he still wouldn't grant me any kind of refund. Trapped in a situation of needing a new bed, I purchased a new mattress (not whole bed set since I already had the box spring from the other bed) and placed my mattress protector on the new bed.

Recently, I saw an ad in a newspaper that said Sleepy's would refund your unwanted mattress up to 8 years, even if it was purchased somewhere else:

8 Year Comfort Guarantee

If for any reason you're not completely comfortable with your mattress purchase we'll replace it -

even if purchased elsewhere!

One time re–selection credit on your original purchase: 1st year 90% credit, 2nd year 80%, 3rd year 70%, 4th year 60%, 5th year 50%, 6th year 40%, 7th year 30%, 8th year 20%.

Prior purchases honored. Reselection must be of greater value. Mattress & Boxspring pads required. Fees Apply. Ask your mattress professional for details.

After seeing this ad, I immediately called Sleepy's Customer Service explaining my situation and telling them I was not offered any refund even though I had a serious medical condition and I hadn't even owned it a year. The woman with whom I was on the phone with then began to find ANY excuse to not offer me a refund. First, she told me that they didn't have this offer at the time. When I read her the offer in the ad that said it was good for any mattress up to 8 years and I had my first bed set for only 14 months and my second mattress less than a year, she tried to tell me there's nothing she could do because I didn't purchase a mattress protector. When I said I had, she continued to argue with me saying I had not, basically calling me a liar. At this point I became so irate, I raised my voice, telling her that I did purchase a mattress protector and that I had it on my bed at that exact moment. It was then that she responded: "I'm not deaf."

In complete shock that any customer service representative would speak back to me in such a manner, I asked to speak with her manager. The customer service agent told me to hold and she would get her supervisor, so I waited expecting the supervisor to be on the phone shortly. However, the supervisor was not put on the phone and instead the agent was back on asking me if I was planning to purchase a new mattress. Even though I was, it shouldn't have mattered. When I told the agent that I wanted to speak with her supervisor again, with an attitude, she responded that her supervisor wanted her to ask me a question. What company, when a customer asks to speak to a supervisor, first has an agent interrogate the caller before they connect them with a supervisor? I asked again to speak directly to a supervisor and was told I would be connected.

At that point, the line was disconnected. I don't like to make assumptions because it very well could have been a simple mistake, but I wonder whether or not our disconnection was done on purpose. Having no other option, I called back the main customer service line and was connected to a supervisor in a different customer service department. After explaining my situation with the supervisor, she told me she would listen to the recording of my previous conversation and get back to me at the end of the day. Sleepy's did get back to me at the end of the day, however, it was only an agent that called back, not the supervisor. The agent offered me an 80% refund of $399 for the W Hotel Mattress...... MINUS a fee they charge of $199 for the return. So in the end they were only going to offer $200. WHAT A JOKE! I understand that the ad said "Fees Apply," however, to charge a fee of $199 for the return is outrageous. Also, I had gone back well within a year to return my original mattress and box spring with no refund option and ended up buying a SECOND mattress. I have not even had the second mattress a year either! With the way I was treated by their customer service agent and considering that fact that I have now purchased a full bed set and a second mattress from them in less than 2 years, at the least, I should have been offered a 90% refund with a smaller fee than $199 or offered to keep the mattress and given a large discount on my future purchase - ESPECIALLY because of the way I was treated by their agent. Any other reputable company would have done so.

After such an insulting offer, I did not accept the refund nor did I purchase a new bed from Sleepy's. As a former repeat customer, I am so disgusted with this company, I will never do business with them again.

Product or Service Mentioned: Sleepys Box Spring.

Comments

csable@mattress.com
Sleepys Verified Representative

Sleepy's number one goal is customer satisfaction. Please reach out to me at csable@mattress.com and include your invoice number and/or customer code and a telephone number with the best date and time to reach you. We look forward to working with you and resolving your complaint.