I purchased a mattress from Sleepys in Brooklyn on Fulton Street on 6/21. I wasn’t going to officially respond to this incident, but it’s been nagging at me since that day -- so I figure I should.

Our salesperson was helpful. He gave my boyfriend and I plenty of time to look around and select a mattress. He was also quite knowledgeable about the stock and answered any questions we had.

After about 30 minutes of testing, we decided on a California King mattress that was fairly high end (after all offer codes received it came to 2,177.49).

During the time that he was pulling up information about the mattresses we were looking at, he addressed my boyfriend directly. He asked him about sports. He asked him if he was a soccer fan. He asked him if he was watching the World Cup. Not once did he address me directly. He was polite enough to offer my boyfriend his phone to watch the game that was going on. He did not offer it to me. He worked up a tally of costs and I agreed to it (despite him addressing only my boyfriend), and I paid for it with my credit card. He took my payment information, and then handed my boyfriend the receipt. He then asked him for a contact number for delivery.

I have to believe this is not the standard of customer service that Sleepys stands by. As an unmarried, professional, woman I have to admit this has never happened to me before. We all know that sexism exists in this world – this was just highly unusual since I was so clearly the person taking care of the payment.

The records should indicate who sold me the mattress. I do not have his name, since upon exiting he handed -- yes -- my boyfriend -- his card in case he had any questions.

I’d hate to think this is a normal occurrence at the chain of mattress stores.

Review about: Sleepys Customer Care.

Comments