My Sleepy's story is like so many of the other customer complaints that I feel responsible to provide you with other details and recommendations in hope that future consumers can avoid what so many others (including myself) have experienced when purchasing a mattress at Sleepy's.

First our story:

We purchased a Simmons NxG mattress set from Sleepy's in 2008. The total purchase price was over $3000. Yes, $3000 - sleep is important to everyone and a basic essential to human health. We felt this was an investment in ourselves, our health and well-worth the expense.

Yes, we had the same experience with delivery and mattress removal fees not being clear in the sale process. We paid without squabbling because frankly, the mattress purchase process in the Sleepy's store was enough of a game that we just wanted to enjoys our new and very expensive purchase.

Within a year and half, the mattress began to sag. When you read all the customer sites about Simmons and Sleepy's, you will see what we experienced called: "depressions" and "sagging like a hammock". We weren't mad, angry or upset – we were pragmatic: consumer items fail and we would simply call Sleepy's and request their attention to the matter. After all, we had a superior mattress guarantee.

Not so: Calls back and forth to Sleepy's took a pattern of delaying us but we persisted. After about 4 months of back and forth, Sleepy's sent an independent inspector to our home to inspect the mattress. The inspector judged that the amount of sag in the mattress did not meet replacement standards. Now we were mad, angry and upset. The mattress was failing and Sleepy's was controlling the quality of our sleep and ultimately: the quality of lives. Over the course of the next two years, sleeping on the mattress was progressively more uncomfortable. I developed back pain that was so intense at times that I began to empathize with people who say they have chronic back problems.

In 2010-11 one side of the mattress had visibly failed and we pressed for a second inspection. We called frequently and unfortunately we had to be relentless to obtain a second inspection.

I need to interrupt this narrative for a moment to recognize that when I read the feedback of so many unsatisfied (and some eventually satisfied) customers of Sleepy's, a common theme presents itself: PEOPLE LIVE WITH BAD MATTRESSES FOR VERY LONG PERIODS OF TIME IN HOPE THAT AN EVENTUAL SOLUTION WILL PRESENT ITSELF. Folks; I can say from experience that hoping for an eventual solution is self-defeating and an uncomfortable experience. You need to seriously consider whether Sleepy's respects your health and economic welfare.

Without a good rest each day, you are less-likely to be alert and functional. If you are like the majority of reasonable, pleasant people; lack of sleep will manifest itself in ways that are dangerous to your health. This is a fact according to the National Institutes of Health: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/sdd/

Put into perspective another way: If you purchased a car that began to show a defect, you would be at the dealer's door the next business day. Why we let Sleepy's delay, negotiate and ultimately decline our basic right to receive a quality product backed by a no-nonsense guarantee are an interesting theme we can leave to the psychiatric community because according to most customer feedback; it appears to be a recurring situation amongst many dissatisfied customers of Sleepy's

Back to our story: Sleepy's sent an inspector and... This time: Sleepy's granted a full replacement. We were to receive about $2600 toward the purchase of a new mattress. And yes, delivery was an extra $250. It was OK though – we were going to get a new mattress and all the stress was about to go away. I went to three Sleepy's stores in NJ to shop for the replacement - when I mentioned that we were looking to replace the NxG, each salesperson I spoke with responded with a similar comment that the NxG was discontinued for a reason: it was a failed first attempt by Simmons to enter the memory foam mattress market. Obviously, on the backs of consumers. No pun intended.

We purchased another Simmons mattress and eagerly-awaited the delivery day. Sleepy's delivery men came to the house on the delivery date and asked to see where the mattress was to be installed. My Wife showed them our bedroom and one of the delivery men looked at the mattress to be removed, spoke to his colleague in Spanish and then told my Wife there was a problem, it looked like there was a stain on the mattress and they would need to go to their truck outside and call their office. They gave my Wife some papers and then they drove away. You cannot make this up.

This began another two months of debating about what constituted a stain etc, etc… Now, for all you out there imagining what a stain looks like, I can cut to the chase and tell you one of the most important lessons I learned during this experience: the return policy for mattresses is so stacked against the consumer that expectations of a "guarantee/warranty" should be greatly lowered.

We couldn't find a stain. We both have perfect eyesight. Now I was thinking that the replacement deal was some sort of mistake and Sleepy's was stonewalling us in order not to replace the mattress. When this sort of situation happens, you really don't have much to go by – how often do you buy a mattress? I was now arguing (nicely because emotions and yelling gets you nowhere - even though my Wife is screaming and everyone in the house is disturbed. I'll chance a guess the Sleepy's folks are laughing hysterically at this by now. I can only wish you never have to go through this in your lifetime. ) with Sleepy's to send another inspector to the house and I would meet him/her – I wanted to see the stain that two delivery men saw that the prior two inspectors had not. Sleepy's was unwilling to do this. I offered to take pictures of the mattress and send them to Sleepy's to prove there was no stain. This was eventually agreed to.

The response back was: We see a stain and since the manufacturer will not credit us for a stained mattress, we cannot credit you for a stained mattress. Yet, that is exactly what they did – they offered a credit of $750 back toward a replacement mattress that we would be required to purchase at Sleepy's. I see this situation frequently mentioned in the mattress consumer guides on the internet.

The following quote is from a dissatisfied Simmons customer:

"we purchased our simmons beauty rest 4 yrs ago, after 2 yrs we finally got so fed up with the sag that we called, the furn store sent out someone to "inspect" our mattress and they replaced it. Only 11 mo later we are having the SAME PROBLEM with the new mattress. We had a small ring on the top of the mattress and were told that we broke the guarantee bc of it! It is NOT a stain bc it came out when we wiped it with a cloth and little carpet cleaner...however they said they cannot help us bc it is against policy to accept a STAINED mattress. Can ANYONE tell me even if this IS their policy, how on earth does a small ring or even any size stain have anything to do with the mattress company standing behind their EXPENSIVE, but poor quality mattresses????"

The "stain" as it turned out is a very, very faint ring approximately 5 inches in diameter – similar to when a watermark is left on a silk napkin when the water dries. Looking at it today, I can understand why we never saw it – the term "stain" to me = dirt, mess, indelible mark. I would guess the folks in the mattress industry deal with some awful situations. This, I can say, is not a situation where were we performed some ritualistic sacrifice leaving behind horrific "stains" of blood. Or, where kids scrawled with markers across the mattress. Or where an incontinent senior citizen (apology to incontinent and senior citizens) this was a barely-visible 5 inches in diameter ring where we (or the kids) spilled water.

So, we have a completely failed mattress (read about the Simmons NxG on the internet and you will get the gist of what a failed NxG means…) and a 5" diameter "stain". One has absolutely NOTHING to do with the other but, one completely NULLIFIES any and all warranties.

Another quote from a dissatisfied Simmons customer about "stains" and his/her perception that Simmons (and perhaps other mattress companies) use this as an almost foolproof method NOT to accommodate customers with failed mattresses:

"I think the Mattress companies have that stain-voids-the-warranty for two reasons. One it let's them upsell stain protection, and two it gives them an easy out. I'm seriously considering contacting my state Assemblyman here in California to sponsor legislation that A) Forces manufacturers not to create one-off product names so that consumers can't comparison shop and B) Not allow them to limit warranties based on stains unless the stain is proven to have contributed to the defect."

And another dissatisfied Simmons customer about getting stuck with a failed high-end Simmons mattress:

"We had the exact same experience except that we paid almost $4000 for the top of the line firm Black Label by the time it was delivered. We had spent $3000 on a Simmons mattress a year earlier and it completely collapsed, so this was the "exchange" we ere allowed for an additional $1000. My husband and I are not sleeping well and we both have back pain now so it is going to go. We are going to buy a quality mattress from Costco because they are the only organization that stands behind their mattresses and will take returns (which we hope never to have to do). I have never tried to return a mattress in my life until I went high end and Simmons. Quality control and customer service are obviously non-existent so DO NOT BUY."

It is my intention NEVER to purchase another Simmons product nor set foot in a Sleepy's store again.

The Sleepy's experience was one of unnecessary haggling, poor customer service and in the end, the insult of Sleepy's reneging on their own replacement offer to us. I hold Simmons responsible for selling a failing mattress (not my opinion: Sleepy's reps and the internet mattress buying guides both confirm that the mattress model was not up to par and certainly not worth the steep price).

I hold Sleepy's responsible for offering us a replacement opportunity based upon their own inspection and subsequently refusing to honor their agreement. (In doing this, either one of two situations is plausible:

Sleepy's is admitting that their inspector was not up to his job function to inspect mattresses or, perhaps even more disturbing:

Could Sleepy's employ this method to get additional mattress sales from dissatisfied customers? After all, when you spend $3000-$4000 on a mattress, get offered $2500 in replacement then eventually get offered $750, only the most determined person will walk away. Most of us will take whatever we can get to cut our losses and get back to a full night's sleep.

I hope this helps other people looking for a mattress. I also encourage folks considering the all-important purchase of a mattress to do their homework at the following internet sites:

Consumer Reports.com

Review about: Sleepys Mattress.

I have the same problem

DON'T buy from Sleepys

Bronx, New York, United States #1223161

Oh wow I wish I had done my research before buying at sleepy's and not now.Bought the mattress August 10, 2016 and now the mattress is sinking in the middle and its making me have back pain.

I plan on calling today I wont have to go through a horrible ordeal.They seem lime an horrible company that cares less for there customer's well-being.

How can a company get away with this because of an alleged stain the bottom line is the product is defective! The defective mattress must be destroyed it cannot be resold or donated. THIS IS A SCAM!!

Well you can add Stearns & Foster beds to that list.I went thru a very similar experience 2 years ago.

No stain issue but a "sink-hole" issue. Not once but TWICE and each time I upgrade the mattress.. It started at 1300 for just the mattress, then added another 300. and the 3rd mattress was a Sealy, but the increased cost was about 600.

I'm okay with it for now and thought I would be happy with a "Sealy' I bought my sister a new Sealy [twin] and now have the same type of issue except hers has the sag at the very top of the bed.. really its like your head is going to slide off the bed. AH but heres the rub..

it only measures 1-1/4 inches which is "acceptable" in warranty guidelines..It has to reach 1-1/2 inches before its classified as defective...

Westchester County, New York, United States #945988

I purchased a mattress at Sleepys in 2012/7....All said and done it cost me $2000!

Mindful of the fact that I had emphasized over and over that I had had 5 back surgeries and I needed a "proven" to be comfortable .... Enquired about return/exchange policies .... Not to worry ,if you are not happy we will take care of the issue! Liars!

I went back in under 30 days and was told there was nothing to be done for me !

Three years later I still have this piece of garbage , I have put a foam topper on it , only helps minimally....I am disabled and do not have the money to purchase a different mattress..My advice DO NOT BUY ANYTHING from Sleepys !!!

New York City, New York, United States #681350

PS And oh yeah... I forgot, Your head has to be perfectly aligned with your shoulders while you're sleeping, so if you don't buy one of their way overpriced pillows, your head will probably roll off

your bed onto the floor.

New York City, New York, United States #681342

Sales Reps are nice but in summary I agree with the frustrated customer above.Let's face it - Sleepy's has to pay for their many, many, way too many stores.

All that property tax, electric bills, overhead etc have to be paid some way. They have found the way. Make it difficult to return or exchange an over-priced mattress and be sure to charge the customer for delivery and then re-delivery if an exchange is needed. And let's scare them about the need for those mattress covers otherwise they may not be able to return those mattresses "that we are not allowed to re-sell anyway" if it has a stain on it.

(What is the problem with a stain if you're not allowed to re-sell the mattress?) I believe 1-800 MATTRESS MAY Be owned by them, not sure but do your homework.

Wish you the best.I am stuck with 2 mattresses that don't work for me.

to DeeG Brooklyn, New York, United States #700014

Sleeping on a mattress 4-8 hours a day everyday over the next 10+ years without a mattress protector is disgusting!!!It's like changing your clothes everyday and not taking a shower Ewww!!!

YOU CANNOT WASH A MATTRESS....so just because you change your sheets that doesn't make your bed clean.Nasty!!!

This thread has convinced me to cancel an order placed with Sleepys today as soon as possible tomorrow. I am terrified of dealing with this company.

Sleepy's takes a discount from the factory and assumes responsibility for the warranty.That's why they deny almost every claim, call the factory and they will tell you they can't help and you have to deal with the seller.

I believe that tempurpedic is the only one the warranties it's own product. It's a simple therory that they have. OVERPRICE and give some *** overstock or cupon that means nothing. Go to a furniture store and the best price will be on the bed already most of the time half of their price.

Plus their price gets lower the closer you get to the door. Doesn't make much sense to anybody with a brain I guess. Also those kings down, sleep to live, Myside beds are good to run from the body impressions on those are insane. Dr.

Bruess was a huge rip off too we bought one of those do called lifetime mattresses and got a 3000 load of ***. I believe that compant went belly up. So if you want to get screwed for 90 bucks delivery and 17 bucks each piece to take out and oh yea a frame that costs 139 and did I mention the comfort exchange fee of 149 to 399. Omg it's like a casino game in the store.

Then the mattress protector for 199 that's on the factory web site for 64 bucks. My advice run don't walk from this circus of failing stores.

The sales people are nice though and apparently terrified of secret shoppers for some reason.So they have to put you on some rubber air bed with 4 air hoses sticking out so you can watch a five minute infomercial.

To satisfaction guaranteed: Thanks for your feedback. No maligning from me. The initial Customer Service from Sleepy's was not satisfactory. Recent Customer Service has been attentive and courteous. My point about the situation is clear: the initial Simmons NxG mattress was not operating as-adverised and was very expensive as well. And in this instance, premiums paid did not and does not equivocate to perfect operation.

The secondary issue is that even though we knew the mattress was failing, we had to wait for the mattress to degrade even further before a secondary inspection stated what we, Simmons and Sleepy's knew to be the case: the Simmons NxG 400 Pillow Top mattress was not performing well for customers.

The last issue of the stain voiding the return policy is unnecessary insult to injury. All this time dedicated and anxiety attributed to a mattress is not what any normal customer wants to experience.

Since posting my initial remarks, Sleepy's has reached out to us, has worked with us and I commend their actions.

Essentially, Simmons will never take a "stained" mattress on warranty from Sleepy's and Sleepy's isn't in the position of providing a pro-rata refund in this case.

My position is the opposite: we have purchased numerous other mattresses from Sleepy's, would consider our family "good and repeat customers" of both Sleepy's AND Simmons. The mattress cost us over 3k dollars and failed. I expect a full pro-rata exchange value.

I don't expect quibbling over a watermark stain, delays and a partial refund.

You are probably a pretty good businessperson to be in the mattress business over 20 years. You have no doubt run into your share of good/bad and ugly. I think it fair to characterize my experience as a business disagreement. In no way am I maligning the mattress industry. But I will say this, I had no idea what customer dissatisfaction lies out there about the industry. When we started this journey, I did not think to look at the internet for customer complaints etc... It was not until March that I thought: "I wonder if we are the only ones going through this sort of experience?"

The answer from the internet clearly is: "NO". Rather than simply state my factual views, I supported them with a few of the many customer feedback responses we found for mattresses. It is unfortunate so much customer negativity was available to choose from.

I feel for this consumer but feel that people should not be allowed to exaggerate a story and malign either the manufacturer and dealer.

I have been in the mattress industry for a long time, almost 20 years.

There is no reason why Sleepys would delay an inspection by 4 months. When a consumer calls with a warranty issue, an independent inspection service is contacted. They will then contact the customer and inspect the product within 1-2 weeks.

they report what they measure and see only.

They are not allowed to venture an opinion.

If a mattress is found within specs, the customer can have the mattress reinspected within 6 months. Why this was not offered is inexplicable. Not my experience.

Every mattress manufacturer's warranty is the same. Rips, tears, burns and stains will void a warranty. A missing law tag will void a warranty. An improper support ( a frame lacking 5-6 legs without a center support) will void a warranty.

Problem: consumers don't READ their warranties. The warranty is with the manufacturer not the dealer.

A consumer can go directly to Simmons in this case and have them handle it. For instance, if this customer had relocated outside Sleepys delivery area, Simmons would handle it.

The only piece of info that is accurate here is the stain issue. However, that, as stated earlier, is contained in EVERY manufacutrers warranty language. A customer must take care to protect their investment from rips, tears, burns or stains.

In my experience at Sleepy's any customer of mine received full satisfaction when the process was completed. The facts stated in this consumer complaint do not jive with the

way warranty claims are handled at Sleepy's.

If this did in fact happen to them, it was the exception not the rule.

to satisfaction guaranteed #1029156

The fact that the entire selling process is sleazy tell you how reputable the sellers word is.All the hidden, last minute, by the way charges.Needing to have a dust cover for warranty but then selling that at a super inflated price.

Tsk Tsk.

Buyer beware.Better yet go elsewhere

Thank you for sharing your concern. We welcome the opportunity to speak with you. Please reach out to me at csable@mattress.com and include your invoice number and/or customer code and a telephone number with the best date and time to reach you.